Applications closed for 2018, please check back next year!
Farm and Orchard Assistant Position
Highly diversified transitional organic orchard growing figs, raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, kiwi berries, pawpaws, persimmons, jujubes, and blueberries for u-pick, farm stand, and wholesale. We also maintain a geothermal high tunnel, a vegetable garden, and goats.
Want an opportunity to work on a transitional organic fruit and vegetable farm? We’re looking for a farm hand to assist with daily farm tasks ranging from day-to-day operations to implementing new farm plantings and infrastructure. Applicant must love outdoor work and a background in sustainable practices, organic farming, or farm work is a definite plus.
- Work in a transitional organic orchard with raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, kiwi berries, pawpaws, persimmons, figs, and other fruiting plants
- Learn irrigation, weed management, pruning, and training of fruit, vegetable, and nursery crops
- Prepare ground for future blueberry plantings
- Implement practices to attract beneficial insects and pollinators
- Work with our goats!
Pay, Lodging, Duration, and Hours
- Pay: Up to $10/hour, depending on knowledge, motivation, and experience
- Lodging: On-farm housing available if needed (for minimal rent or workshare)
- Duration: Early May through end of August, possibility for part-time work before and after. June start dates considered for highschool students.
- Hours: 32-40 hours/week during main season (Monday thru Saturday, 1 day off/week), up to 12 hours/week in the off season
Duties & Requirements
- Assist with day-to-day operations on the farm such as (but certainly not limited to) harvesting, weeding, irrigation, trellising, pruning, mowing, restocking, deliveries, interacting with and assisting customers
- Positive attitude and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with farm stand and u-pick customers
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs