Now Hiring! Application Deadline 3/31/18
Farm and Orchard Assistant Position
Highly diversified transitional organic orchard growing figs, raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, kiwi berries, pawpaws, persimmons, jujubes, and blueberries for u-pick, farm stand, and wholesale. We also maintain a geothermal high tunnel, a vegetable garden, and goats.
Want an opportunity to work on a transitional organic fruit and vegetable farm? We’re looking for a farm hand to assist with daily farm tasks ranging from day-to-day operations to implementing new farm plantings and infrastructure. Applicant must love outdoor work and a background in sustainable practices, organic farming, or farm work is a definite plus.
- Work in a transitional organic orchard with raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, kiwi berries, pawpaws, persimmons, figs, and other fruiting plants
- Learn irrigation, weed management, pruning, and training of fruit, vegetable, and nursery crops
- Prepare ground for future blueberry plantings
- Implement practices to attract beneficial insects and pollinators
- Work with our goats!
Pay, Lodging, Duration, and Hours
- Pay: Up to $10/hour, depending on knowledge, motivation, and experience
- Lodging: On-farm housing available if needed (for minimal rent or workshare)
- Duration: Early May through end of August, possibility for part-time work before and after. June start dates considered for highschool students.
- Hours: 32-40 hours/week during main season (Monday thru Saturday, 1 day off/week), up to 12 hours/week in the off season
Duties & Requirements
- Assist with day-to-day operations on the farm such as (but certainly not limited to) harvesting, weeding, irrigation, trellising, pruning, mowing, restocking, deliveries, interacting with and assisting customers
- Positive attitude and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with farm stand and u-pick customers
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs